Are you the new technical director of Europeana?
Reporting to the General Director, this leadership position is pivotal to the digital
transformation of museum, gallery, library, and archival collections in Europe. The Technical Director leads the development and operation of the Europeana data platform, which aims to deliver high quality data services for the cultural heritage sector.
The role leads a department of 20+ and directs software development activities for data aggregation, enrichment, search, and API systems. It also has accountabilities for product planning, platform management, DevOps, R&D, technical community management, and CRM activities with data aggregators. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Technical Director makes a substantial contribution to business strategy, organisational development, and senior stakeholder management. The Director ultimately builds and delivers on a vision of data quality that is in alignment with Europeana Strategy 2020, while also helping to grow the organisation as a whole.
● Maintain a vision and strategy for the Europeana data platform, inline with expectations for data quality. Ensuring that efforts such as aggregation, enrichment, search, API, multilingual, and artificial intelligence developments are also aligned with the Europeana Strategy.
● Delivery of data and services that meet the needs of Europeana products, stakeholders and customers, with particular attention being paid to required KPI targets for data quality.
● Manage software development processes for data platform efforts to ensure they are agile, productive, and of good quality. Support DevOps and complex IT projects that cross the business, making sure the entire technical and system architecture for Europeana is always available, high performing, resilient, and secure.
● Maintain product roadmaps for the data platform and ensure that all programmes, projects, and outcomes have been properly assessed, estimated, and prioritised so they can be delivered on time, within budget, and to sufficient quality.
● Maintain and improve on practices for the ingestion, transformation, and sharing of cultural heritage data.
● Maintain a pipeline of forward-thinking efforts to power future growth, including the evolution of the Europeana Data Model, ingestion methods, enrichment, search, multilingual, and artificial intelligence developments.
● Build strong and trusted relationships with users of the Europeana data platform, and with Aggregators in particular. Manage suppliers and control quality, holding all vendors accountable to performance against milestone delivery and budget.
● Building Europeana’s presence and voice, keeping up on competitive trends and new technological developments to help Europeana improve efficiency and customer satisfaction. Leverage the Europeana Tech Network to deliver plans, both for advice and work. Develop and direct funded projects with external partners.
● Take up speaking opportunities, conferences, media activities, etc, to promote the vision and work of Europeana.
Director’s team responsibilities
As a member of Europeana’s Senior Management Team, we expect all Directors to actively contribute to the ongoing operations and development of the organisation, including:
● Driving process improvements that support the performance of the organisation
● Contributing to change management and organisational development activities
● Representing the organisation as a senior leader in the cultural heritage sector
● Complementing the current team in terms of competencies to support healthy and collaborative team dynamics
To be successful in this role, the Technical Director will thrive on working in a creative and mission driven environment and have:
● Experience in working in the cultural heritage field or publishing, or transferable experience working with data services
● Deep knowledge of the worlds of libraries, museums and archives or scientific / academic publishing
● Excellent team leadership capability:
o preferably 10+ year management experience with staff of 20+ professionals, and experience in managing remote teams
o Strong capability to manage diverse and complex stakeholder groups
● Experience in building strategic vision with teams
● Extensive experience managing software development teams and processes
(including agile development, change management, testing, and release
● Experience with:
o both product development and service delivery
o roadmapping, planning, and managing programmes and projects
o design and operation of IT systems, especially establishing and maintaining processes, monitoring, disaster recovery and security
● Ability to travel regularly (when the opportunity becomes available)
● Excellent written English language skills to native level equivalent, with excellent presentation skills
Your monthly salary will be between EUR 5,900 and 6,600 (based on full-time employment), depending on the level of your experience.
● Additionally, you will receive a (pro-rated) holiday allowance of 8% and an annual (year-end, pro-rated) bonus of 8.33%.
● 1 year fixed term contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability.
● We offer 42.25 days holiday per year (based on full-time employment).
● We provide a company laptop and offer a WFH allowance to compensate monthly the costs while working from home and not being able to work from the office. (Covid-19 / exceptional circumstances)
Europeana empowers the cultural heritage sector in its digital transformation. We develop expertise, tools and policies to embrace digital change and encourage partnerships that
foster innovation. We make it easier for people to use cultural heritage for education, research, creation and recreation. Our work contributes to an open, knowledgeable and creative society.
The Europeana Foundation is an independent, non-profit organisation that operates the Europeana platform and contributes to other digital initiatives that put cultural heritage to good use in the world. At the Europeana Foundation we work to democratise access to culture - digitally - so that everyone in our society is empowered to embrace diversity and flourish.
Our office is based in the National Library of the Netherlands, next to The Hague Central Station.
Hoe nu verder
Ben jij geïnteresseerd in bovenstaand profiel? Stichting Europeana ziet graag jouw sollicitatie tegemoet! Door middel van het klikken op de solliciteerbutton kom je in een overzichtelijk sollicitatiescherm waar je met jouw CV, LinkedIn profiel of onze CV bouwer kan reageren op de vacature van Technical Director.